It is a warning: For those who had been planning on getting excessive with your folks and seeing the film Cats this weekend, don’t. I used to be identical to you. I wished the identical issues, after which I noticed Cats, and now I’m right here from the long run, telling you not to do that. It’s not price it.
Look, I get it. Cats looks as if a bubbly, lurid, dumb film you can tune out and giggle by, perhaps even faucet your foot. Taylor Swift is in it. Judi Dench is in it. I. Get. It. However hear me after I say: seeing Cats advantages nobody. It’s like a drug-dream—no, a drug-nightmare—that simply received’t stop. It’s like an acid journey that ends with one in all your folks going mad and killing a man. I’m telling you: Don’t. See. Cats.
I imply, do what you need. I do know this sounds utterly alarmist, however I simply want that, after I was youthful (a pair days in the past), I had somebody to inform me what I wanted to listen to: that Cats is means much less enjoyable Swiftie magic and far more disturbing than any of the Remaining Vacation spot loss of life scenes. However why was it so totally deranged? Why weren’t the kitties dancing by purplish midnight-scapes simply plain nice? Why is my mind nonetheless oozing out of my ears? I don’t know. These are simply among the questions that shot by my cranium like lightning throughout my viewing of Cats.
I went to see the film for enjoyable, as a result of I wished to look at Taylor Swift descend from a crescent moon and drug a bunch of feral cats with catnip. However I additionally went on project, to search out one thing distinctive to write down about this horror-musical. As an alternative of discovering one thing subtly feminist to touch upon, or one thing laughably lesbian, I used to be left scribbling down a bottomless listing of questions in my poor, unwitting miniature composition pocket book. I’ll transcribe these notes for you right here, as finest I can, however think about that they had been written at the hours of darkness, and I used to be below the affect of an acid journey that ended with me killing a man—uhh, I imply—below the affect of Cats.
- Why are some Cats clothed? Does it indicate the non-clothed Cats are bare? Are the Cats’ garments an expression of the Cats’ selves? Why are some Cats partially clothed? Just some are carrying sneakers—does that indicate that the Cats’ garments are literally operate over type? Are the shoeless Cats’ feetsies chilly???
- Are Cats fatphobic? There are a lot of, many jokes concerning the dimension of Jennyanydots (Insurgent Wilson) and Bustopher Jones (James Corden), and their shapes are attributed to each laziness and constant consuming. Is that actually the form of message Cats are snug sending?
- Why are the Cats gendered? The great thing about being an animal—I’ve all the time thought—is that they’re free from the prisons of gender norms and societal pressures. On this nightmare-world, the woman Cats have tiddies. The boy Cats have…prime hats? Truly, that’s fairly true of the human realm, too. Women = tiddies, boys = magicians. The 2 genders.
- Why are the Cats so sexy? Are we alleged to be drawn to the Cats? Are the Cats attracted to one another?
- What is that this film about and who’s it for? Critically. I need to know.
- Why do the Cats’ accents differ? Are they from completely different elements of London? Why does one in all them not know pronounce the phrase “Thames?” Assuming that, on this world, Cats have British accents as a result of they stay in England, and most of them know pronounce the identify of the river Thames…how has one Cat gone a lifetime with out listening to one other Cat say “Thames?” It’s not like a type of issues the place you learn a phrase a bunch of occasions however by no means say it out loud, after which somebody says it out loud and also you’re like, “oh fuck, THAT’S the way you pronounce it?” Until…
- Do Cats learn within the film Cats? I’m spiraling.
- What the fuck is the dimensions of those CATS? It appears they’re on a sliding scale of dimension that ranges from full-grown grownup folks to tiny child kittens—why isn’t this clearer?
- Why do the Cats have human fingers??
- Why is Judi Dench carrying a FUR coat??? She is a CAT!!!
- ARE THE CATS BIPEDS OR DO THEY CRAWL THEY CANNOT DO BOTH OMG THE INCONSISTENCIES
- Who’s holding Judi Dench hostage and the way a lot do they need? I can begin a GoFundMe RIGHT NOW and free you by dusk, Judi!!!
- High quality, I’ll go there: How does sexuality work on the planet of Cats? YOU gendered them, okay? Fuck you. If the CATS have tiddies, I’m allowed to ask if the Cats are lesbians.
- Does Cats happen in the identical cinematic universe as Taylor Swift’s “ME!” music video? It does, proper?
- Is Taylor Swift mad at me? Did I cross a line in dissecting her potential romantic connection to Karlie Kloss, and she or he’s doing this—as in, being in Cats—TO me? Is Taylor Swift being in Cats at me?